Monday, September 14, 2009

Real Life


So, I first started this journal towards the end of a three week break I had from work. I had done all the errands, cleaning, new carpet and chores I could handle. I had the time and motivation. Now it seems as though life is back to normal. Busy. I think that no matter the situation or stage we find ourselves in, we can always be consumed by busyness. It does take discipline and determination to find time to do things that seem so important, and yet are so easily procrastinated.

I have been so encouraged by people who want to know how Mom is and what is going on in our lives, and yet, at times it is so hard to sit down and write.

An update on what we have been trying to figure out with Mom. She is now enrolled in hospice, they have been helpful in some areas and very frustrating in others. We are trying to figure out the best medications to help Mom with her excessive salivation. This morning, about 3:30, I awoke to Mom's coughing and gagging. I sat with her for about an hour trying to cough and suction as much as we could. I now have the suction machine set up in the bathroom and Mom is becoming more confident about using it herself. She wears patches behind her ears that are supposed to help with this issue also. Unfortunately, they are irritating her skin quite a bit. I know it bothers her and I often have to remind her not to pick at them. It is becoming increasingly hard for her to endure any long outings. She tires of things quickly and her energy depletes quickly. Communication is also becoming harder. The other day I was only getting "yes" to every question I asked. Even "Are you an alligator?" and "Do you want a snow cone?" Not really helpful, but I do know that she still has a sense of humor.

OK, maybe some good things. We read together every night, currently, Charlotte's Web. In the past week she has been to the botanical gardens, the IMAX theater, shopping, walking in the mountains, watering her garden, and has watched lots and lots of movies. She has such dear friends who enjoy spending time with her and caring for her. We are both so blessed by this. Jeremy and I also did some cleaning in the garage and found, among many other treasures - Mom's accordion! Yes, she did play the accordion, before her cheerleading days. And she has loved showing it to her friends this week.

My life - Monday, Jeremy and Naomi threw a surprise birthday party for me. I had no idea. Showed up in my sweats. Very fun, I totally felt like a princess - in my sweats. I got some cleaning done and then, of course, when I have about 6 days off, I get sick. I tried hard to stay away from Mom as much as I could, feeding was difficult. So I am hoping that she does not get sick, because with her weak gag and cough reflex it would hit her much harder than it hit me and it was no fun for me.

Jeremy and Naomi celebrated their first wedding anniversary and this weekend get to go on a little beach vacation - no hurricanes please.

Today has been a productive and restful day, and I got to take care of my beautiful mother.

5 comments:

  1. That is a lovely picture. Thanks for taking the time to write. Get well. Suz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your feeling better friend. Once again I am inspired by the sweet joy God is giving you in this time. Always praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your updates- we just learned of this blog from Lynn. We would love to visit at a convenient time. I can only imagine what you are dealing with, but you clearly have the strength of the Lord and I pray that you continue to find the joy in all that life presents you. You are clearly inspired by God and a blessing to all of us. Brian Throop

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure hope you are almost over that cold, Shelby -- what a bummer! Beautiful photo of Teri. Is it the point of view or is that accordian bigger than she is LOL
    Keep looking for the small joys as they are always there to be discovered and thanks for finding the time for the update. I know all too well what you mean about how easy it is to procrastinate -- do it all the time LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shelby - I don't know how you find the time to post - but I know that we all appreciate it so much. Thank you! btw - you really are a princess!
    You said your Mom was enrolled in hospice - does that mean that you will be able to have some help in caring for her? I hope so - just because I know this is so hard for all of you there in ABQ. I only wish I could be there to help too.
    Give Teri a giant hug from me and another from Laura.
    And hugs to you my friend -- hang onto that sense of humor for the both of you.

    ReplyDelete