Thursday, August 20, 2009

Mom's Birthday















I think that since today is a momentous day, I will fast forward about a year. I might go back later, but I want to share what Mom, Jeremy, Naomi and I did today.

August 20, 1952 - Mom was born. Today she is 57.

Happy Birthday Mom!

It all started about 3 weeks ago. Jeremy asked Mom what she wanted for her birthday. Secondary to the ALS, she can no longer talk. So she wrote down "NINE". We think that the FTD is contributing to her inability to find words and communicate. So "Nine" it was, again and again we asked her and it remained consistent. And when we tried to ask her where we could buy "Nine", we got the "Nine Store". It seemed logical enough.

So needless to say everyone around has been teasing her and trying to figure it out. She thinks it is funny & laughs every time we mention it. One night I went through the whole alphabet with her looking for rhyming words - to no avail. But finally we got her to agree that she would take us to the "Nine Store". She told us she knew where it was and would direct us there.

Today was the day, she wanted "Nine" for her birthday, so at about 12:30 today, Jeremy drove, Mom navigated, Naomi recorded the whole trek via photo and I went along for the ride. Perfectly directed we end up at the "Nine Store". She was more than happy and very confident that we were at the right place.

1 comment:

  1. Another birthday wish for Teri -- sounds as if your day with Shelby, Jeremy and Naomi was really special. Glad you have a new pair of Teva's -- should I get a pair for myself? I have to confess that I don't actually like having something between my toes -- maybe it's time I got with it and tried.

    ReplyDelete